Friday, July 19, 2013

First Few Days at the MTC (and the journey before I got there)

emailed 7/19/13
First Few Days at the MTC:
 
Dear Mom, Dad, and everyone else,

Well I made it. Today is my Pday here at the MTC so I get to email! Yesterday I got my first companinon for the MTC. His name is Elder Child and although he is older than me by a few months I was made the Senior companion yesterday during our meeting with our branch president. I am rooming with Elder Child, Elder Burgi, and Elder Reber. They are all great guys and we are already becoming good friends. I am learning so much and the Spirit is so strong here. We've been practicing studying to teach investigators and each sompanionship has been asigned their own investigator for the week. So Elder Child and I have been studying the fisrt few lessons in the First Discussion to teach Ian about the love of God and the Atonement of Jesus Christ. We teach him today for the first time after dinner and I feel a mixture between excitement and nerves. It's going to be a great experience to learn and grow and I can't wait! For those of you that are sending me letters or waiting for letters from me I was just allowed to use the Post Office last night so I should be getting your letters sometime today and I'll be sending all of mine to you today as well. The food here is pretty good so far. We've had meatloaf, chicken fried steak, burgers, chilli dogs, chicken, and cereal! Here at the MTC we are allowed an hour to email which is way more time than I thought I would get. I'm starting to get used to the schedule here but it's still crazy. I am in the same classroom for at least 6 or 7 hours of the day learning. And although the teachers are fantastic, it is really hard to stay awake when you are sitting in the same chair for so long. Don't worry mom I haven't actually fallen asleep in class. I just got close to it yesterday. Today I get to wear normal clothes all day until dinner when classes start up again! Um... More about my companion and roomates. Elder Child is from Kaysville, Utah and just graduated this year. He played wrestling. Elder Burgi is 22, is from Sandy, Utah and loves outdoors activities like downhill mountain bike races. Elder Reber is from Enterprise, Utah and he just graduated as well. He is a farmboy and plays basketball! We've already created bonds with the rest of our district. Everyone in our district is going to Riverside or Tempi, Arizona. There are some great people here and very unique stories. One of the sisters in my class/district is a legal "short person" and is 24 years old. It's really inspiring to hear of everyones stories and backgrounds and reasons for coming to serve a mission. The first day we went through a Gym Orientation to know how and when to use the gym. And when I looked on our schedule for my stay here at the MTC I only get to use the gym/field like three times. I'm a little dissapointed I wont get to work off all this food thats just sitting in my stomach all day or play ball with the rest of the Elders here. I'm already starting to create better habits and I love it! I've been writing in my journal and saying myprayers and reading my scriptures with a real purpose and it's amazing the diference it makes. The Spirit and people here just make me want to be better and it is a wonderful feeling. I miss you all. I love you mom and dad. I can't believe I'm actually here. It still feels somewhat like a dream but I think I might get used to it soon and then I'll leave for Riverside and it will start all over. There is so much going on here. The work of God is amazing. If ou could come experience the MTC for just one day you would see what I mean. The Spirit is so strong. I can't wait to be able to get out into the field and start teaching the people of California the restored gospel of Jesus Chirst. The amazing thing about the gospel is it all makes sense. once you can't sit down and just think logically it all makes sense. And then you add the scriptures and witness of the Holy Ghost and I don't know how anyone could deny its truth. The love of God is real. During our classes I've come to realize that even more than ever. And the people we are teaching are true and literal sons and daughters of God that he loves. I am the shepherd God has sent to find the lost sheep that is looking for it's way back unto the fold. Once I find that sheep I must do all I can to bring it back. Because God sees the potential of that one person and I am beginning to see that as well. It's amazing. That one person can beome a shepherd of God as well and together we will find even more of the lost sheep and the work will grow and continue to roll forward like a wave. I love this gospel so much. Everything I know and believe rings true to me. I know that Jesus is the Christ. He is my Savior and he suffered and died not only for me but for the rest of the world so that we can all repent and be forgiven of our sins and also so that when we need someone, Christ is always there for us to keep us standing. I know that Christ lives and because he broke the bands of death we too will be resurrected with perfected bodies. I know the Book of Mormon is true and that Joseph Smith was a true prophet of God and he restored the Christ's church here on Earth and translated the book of Mormon. I testify of the truth and the reality of the priesthood and power that comes from it. I bare testimony of pray and of Thomas S. Monson. This church is so true. I feel it. I know it. I am living it. I love it. This work is of God. There is no other explaination for it. Nothing else could be this powerful and this good. I hope you are all doing well and are safe. I miss you. I love you so much. I can't wait to hear from you.

With love from your missionary at the MTC,

Elder Bushman

 
At the MTC!  Aunt Michelle dropped him off. 
Doesn't he look great!?! So excited for him! 
July 17th
 
Monday, July 15th, 2013.   Flying to Utah!     (6:30 Flight)

Officially a set-apart missionary!
Congratulations ELDER Bushman!


Many great friends came to hear the "Farewell" (that is not a farewell).

   
 Opening the Call!
Fun Gathering and many on Skype or phone!
Riverside, California!! (English speaking!)
 
 The Postman delivered the call!!  
(Mom is so weird, but he post man abliged & she got her picture!

No comments:

Post a Comment